19 November 2011

So Bob Left...

So I was looking at my browser today and my favorites bar is crowded with Googlish goodness. It occurred to me that the intellectual real estate these little icons claim in my browsing life is quite the triumph. That I am also using Google Chrome is not lost on me. Chrome has grown from a clunky, and moderately shitty browser to a much leaner and well-made solution than any of the other competitors. I could go on, but that is not my focus today. My focus is Bob.

During the time that Laura and I were married her mother met and married a lovely man. Bob and his former wife were at my second wedding. They had been friends of Laura's family for many years already. Bob's wife died suddenly, or at least suddenly to me, and one of the people who was there for him was my Mother in Law, Eloise.

After a year or two their relationship had a turn for the decidedly odd. They were both, or seemed to me, pretty surprised that they were dating, then engaged, then married. It was a lovely wedding. I was there and my son looked so amazing in his miniature tuxedo.

As an aside seeing a picture of John in that tuxedo caused me to cry. I had never realized that my son looked like me, but the resemblance in his face to mine was remarkable, and amazingly enough, just like me. That has to be a run-on sentence, anyway.

Bob and Eloise were very happy. They had a nice house in Spring Hill. They had a life together, and it was great for them. Bob, without missing a beat, was John's Grandfather. This was new for Bob, our family was dynamic interwoven, and blended. He never missed a beat. When Laura and I got divorced he chose well, and kept his own counsel.

Our relationship was decidedly more distant when I was no longer married to his stepdaughter. No worries, he was still a good guy and I was kind of an asshole anyway. He treated my son amazingly well. At the end of the day that was all that was important.

Bob shuffled off our mortal coil, and now my son gets the life experience of losing a grandfather. Well, that sucks, but it is part of being a young man, growing up, living right.

I just wanted to say thank you Bob. You were an awesome grandfather. You were a great husband. You were a good man.

Isn't that all we can ever wish for.

Good rest sir, and Peace.

No comments: