24 November 2011

Well, it's official. I've been replaced...

I spent Thanksgiving day with my extended family. When I say extended, let me explain:
Roger & Sandra Winn (my parents)
Ross Winn and John Winn (me and my son)
Scott & Deidre Winn with their two sons Blaine & Jack (my younger balding brother, his wife and two boys)
Amy Winn (my younger, prettier sister)
Whitney Winn & Michael Sigsbey with her son Dimitri Harding (my daughter, her boyfriend, and my grandson)
Robert & Cheryl Grimes (Deidre's parents)
Peggy Gray (my Mom's sister by choice)
There were also the dogs, but unlike some members of my family I do not consider them siblings.

Everyone was being very dodgy about what I should or should not make for Thanksgiving. I ended up just making dressing, which is strange.

From the time I left the restaurant business in about 1990 I have cooked every Holiday meal that we have eaten as a family. It was a source of great pride for me, and I received hundreds of compliments over the twenty years. However all good things come to an end, and it appears that I have been ended, metaphorically. It seems my sister and father conspired to allow my daughter to prepare the lion's share of the meal. I was quietly appalled.

(Un)Fortunately the meal was a complete success. Whitney did an amazing job of everything, and even her gravy was excellent. I was torn between resenting the hell out of being replaced and also having a great deal of pride in my daughter's cooking. She explained away her own compliments by saying, "I learned cooking from my Dad." That she also asked my opinion on several techniques which was flattering, even though she didn't always use my answers.

We haven't all been together, my brother with his family, my sister and I all three for Thanksgiving in ages. I haven't had both my children and my grandson all together with my brother and sister on Thanksgiving ever in my life.

It was a wonderful day; there were no tears, no fistfights, and nobody died. I love my family, and I had a very happy Thanksgiving.

Now I think the tryptophan is kicking in...  ZZZ zzz ... ...

No comments: